Tuesday, August 01, 2006

True gross dental story!!!

A patient came in yesterday, the reason being that she chipped her tooth. She brought the piece in wrapped in some cellophane wrap. I can never get over why so many people do that! Its not as if we can do anything to it or with it. It fell off for a reason!! Unless its a crown or made of gold or porcelain, the general public are far better off just throwing it away.

Well, I had the initial examination and did not find any of her teeth to be missing a piece. She carefully unwrapped the piece and showed it to me saying, "I bought a cake from (insert grocery store name here), It had almonds in it and I thought it was an almond but I had a look at it and it was a piece of tooth! So I relaly need to get it fixed as it is quite large. I carefully examined the facing (also known as veneers) whicha ppeared to be made out of composite (white filling material) It was quite large and possibly coming from one of the central incisor teeth. I turned it around and it had traces of brown decay on the uneven side which joins the tooth. This was probably the reason why it fell off in the first place.

I had a second long look at her before slowly telling her, " I don't quite know how to say this but ... this is a lost piece of filling ... but it is definitely not from one of _your_ teeth." She looked up in a silent scream before choking out, " And I used my toothbrush to scrub it and everything!!!!"

Ick this is definitely one of the yukkiest cases I have seen. Perhaps the lady was better off not bringing the piece in? Ignorance is bliss sometimes. Not sure if that grocery company will do anything for her if she chooses to bring it up.

Anyway here is a picture of Magic with his bandana just to detract from the yukky story.

12 Comments:

At 1:25 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh that is utterly horrific yet so hilarious! brushing the tooth and everything :)

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Juliet said...

Yuck!!!! It makes you wonder what else goes into food you buy. It's enough to make me swear off packaged foods.

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

hehe I can't say the name of the store for legal reasons of course but yes, be careful of packaged, store bought baked goods!

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Uggh, well there goes any thought of breakfast.....but you did forewarn me. Still, yuck......

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Eeeeeeewwwwwwww!!!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Dr. Mommy, D.D.S. said...

ick that's gross!

i probably would have hurled. actually, it's probably better that she heard the news long after the cake was consumed. just hearing that story makes me gag!

 
At 8:34 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

hehe kirk, if you ever want to put yourself on a diet just think back to this story ;)

hey katie! I saw your mum and dad last weekend and of course dear lucy and emma and the cat too.

hehe doc mommy you need to let me know if another story "takes the cake" *kaching boom*

 
At 11:11 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

hehe good point AG ! Watch out for it on ACA ;)

 
At 11:43 PM, Blogger Dentist Down Under said...

That was gross! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! Initially I thought it was a piece of calculus that fell out :p I actually had a few patients bringing in their calculus thinking it was a piece of tooth that chipped. :/

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Julia said...

That Oh So Gross... But PMSL..
hehheeh
Ben's such a glutton for grossness. He's asking for more grosser stories... :)

 
At 6:00 AM, Blogger Bauer Dental said...

That is extreamly funny
How much did you charge?

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jeremy said...

That's gross, but your story is hilarious! I have to say, dentists truly are unsung heroes coz' to endure that job needs a lot of patience and compassion. Well, that is why whenever I visit my Dentist Sevierville, TN clinic I like to impress my dentist with how well I'm caring for my teeth. I'm just glad that like you, my Sevierville dentist is very patient with me. Thanks for sharing this post. I had fun reading it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home