Thursday, June 15, 2006

*pant*

Work has suddenly gotten busy again. Was at work from about 8:30 am to 8 pm today just due to string of difficult cases. I offered to do my own denture repairs as it was quiet the last few weeks and all of a sudden, it got so busy, I didn't have time to do it at all today. So I had to stay back into the evening and do it then and so did my patient. I felt bad for making her wait so I only charged a fraction of the cost.

For other reasons, it hasn't been a great day either. A patient that I and my boss saw last week turned up with a face full of rash like symptoms and asked to speak to the practice manager. He allerged that he had been to the doctor who thought it was herpes. And he felt that he might have caught it from dirty instruments at our surgery. My boss had a look around and got him to open his mouth and there was no lesions inside at all. Hence, it was highly unlikely that he got it from the surgery. Second of all, all our instruments are autoclaved and sterile, hence it is impossible to get anything at all.

He was off to get a pathology report so it will be interesting to find out what exactly this thing is. Meanwhile, it is always stressful if you think someone might sue you, even if you know you have done everything by the book. Such is the life of a healthcare professional.

The week has been so busy I haven't had a chance to blog about my great weekend last weekend! Richard and I went away with Casey and Clare to a town called Mudgee which is one of the major wine growing areas of New South Wales. We visited 13 wineries all up but that wasn't even half of them! Will post more about it soon. This weekend, Richard's family is coming up to visit, thus I have to scoot soon to clean up the place. His family has an intersting habit of changing plans at the last minute. They said they wouldn't get here till late Friday night until this evening when they called and said that they would get here sometime early afternoon so now I need to think up and cook dinner for 5 for tomorrow as well as clean up when I had planned on doing it tomorrow evening after dinner. Outlaws .... can't live with them, can't shoot them. Don't even get me started on how his cousin and her husband arrived at our doorstep unannounced, having driven 3 hours to check out our area for something to do on their anniversary!

6 Comments:

At 9:54 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

Rachel jie!
Gosh you are sure a busy lady, I keeping my fingers crossed for you that nothing will happen in relation to your patient. These patients nowdays *tsk tsk* ....
If they got a problem with a specific part of their body, they tend to relate closest to work of the health care professional. Hope you get what i mean here.
I guess as long as you have done your best, there's nothing much to worry about.
BIG BIG HUGS*

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

hi flatfeet,
I am so glad you understand. Hope nothing like that ever happens to you too. People seem to find it hard to take responsibility for their own actions nowadays. Thankfully my boss called the guys GP and he said it was very unlikely that he caught it from something ... it is more likely to be from a partner! Still it is always stressful when someone blames you for something. Anyway hope your return to work goes well and that your holiday was good!

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger Juliet said...

Mudgee sounds great. 13 wineries!! Shall have to explore VIC a bit and see if there's an equivalent here. By the way, how do you post pics within your text? And the pics of Kiri and Raven were really funny. Poor things! Did Magic get along well with Kiri?

 
At 12:44 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hi ju... finally you make a comment!

You need to go to the other tab on top when you are writing your blog and it will give you the preview of the pics. Alternatively, you can cut and paste the html to where ever between the paragraphs you want your pics to be.

mika does look cute but I think cats can be very temperamental. Magic stayed far away only dumbass Raven couldn't leave it alone ... she was too curious. Anyway you can join in the WCB next weekend!!

I hope to get some time in to post about mudgee. Anyway your contacts are with me... I just haven't gotten round to mailing them yet.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Hi Rachel - Sounds like you had "one of those days", sigh.....hope things are a bit saner for you.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Dentist Down Under said...

Hi Rachel,

If you still haven't been threatened with a lawsuit you're the lucky 2 out of 3 dentists in Australia. Just wait, it'll be your turn soon. ;p I've already got mine few weeks ago when this patient tried to get away with paying for extraction due to a cracked tooth. Her sis called the solicitor in the waiting area but we still made her pay and I have yet to hear from her solicitor lol. Those ungrateful patients are always out there to get you, they think we're rich and would do anything to try to get money out of you. Make sure you have a very detail record. I write down every single words they say. ;p I'm setting up my own practice and I'm thinking of installing a security camera to record everything that happens in the surgery. We shouldn't have to do this but unfortunately this country is getting more and more like America with everyone suing everyone. ;(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home