Sunday, May 28, 2006

Back in the saddle again

As the last of my boxes are to be unpacked today, I decided to take a peek into the blog world once more. I have missed reading lots of friends blogs but a lot of other things have also been going on in my life besides new job(s) (yes two!), new home etc. I know that nothing loses readers faster than no new posts, however, once again, I ponder the inverse connection between real life and online life. People are most often online when life is quite ho hum and has mostly a predictability or pattern about it. However, once a change, usually a big one, occurs, it is sacrificed over most other things.

Well besides the move etc. I have also been back to Singapore and did a 3D 2N visit of Malacca in Malaysia which was as usual a great culinary experience! I have yet to upload the picutres onto the computer so I can hopefully start blogging about that soon.

It has been a bit of a reverse shock moving into a larger town. In Cowra, I used to know to whom most cars belonged and would wave if I drove past them or when parking at the shopping centre or supermarket, I knew who I would bump into in there etc. There hasn't been even the hint of a familiar face here in Bathurst, a town about 4 times the size of Cowra. I know it will take time ... but in the meantime it has been a bit lonely.

We have been to a couple of different church services as well, mostly in the evening ( I am so not a morning person! ). You know you are feeling old when you don't quite click with the uni student crowd anymore! Bathurst has the main Charles Sturt University campus and thus we have been amusedly watching Orientation groups dressed up in various outfits made to walk the streets of Bathurst as part of an initiation.

It has been great having real "late night shopping" here on Thursdays. I feel I can get stuff done too as I got from 8:30 am to 5 pm ( as opposed to 9 am to 5:30 - often 6:30 pm) Here in NSW Aust, the normal shopping hours are 9 to 5:30 M-F and varies on the weekends. In Cowra, it was 9 to 12:30 on Saturdays and not at all on Sundays, and here in Bathurst, it is 9 to 4 on Saturdays and to about 3 on Sundays. This has been truly great ! Although I am not a huge shopper, I am a huge window shopper. Coming to Australia was difficult as Singapore used to have hours from 10 am to 10 pm for shopping centres and markets from about 7 am to late !

Also, I feel lucky to have about 3 Chinese restaurants ( Still mostly Australianised chinese), 1 Thai, 1 indian and 1 Korean/ Japanese restaurant. While not much sashimi or many raw fish sushi varieties, there is a decent bibimbab and kimchi to be had there. We have yet to try the other restaurants.

Well, hope to be sharing more pics of the new town soon! Meahile, its back to housework etc. :)

4 Comments:

At 4:02 PM, Blogger KirkK said...

Hi Rachel - Really nice to "hear" from you again. Sounds like your starting to settle in.

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger RONW said...

g'day, Mz Cowra....I clicked on to your blog's URL for a last and final try after more than a month of daily visits. If you weren't there, as you are now, sadly I would have had to wheeled your URL to the morgue.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Rachel, so lovely to see you up and blogging again. I was starting to wonder how you were going settling in to Bathurst. So the CSU crowd are a bit young for you guys? Do they still have Cafe Church at the Pressies on Sunday? Beware of the Anglican churches there... Bathurst is still a "high" theology area, so it can be a bit hit and miss.

Anyway, hope you're doing ok. I'll try to drop in on my way through in about a month's time if you're up for it.

Love Katie

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Kirk!!! Thanks for visiting :) Its really nice to catch up on your culinary adventures.

Hi Ron! Thank you so much for checking back. I would have defintely missed you and your quirky but totally honest comments. Now I have a new town to share with you :)

Dear katie, hehe its funny how many Cowra people have also lived in Bathurst at some point of time or another. They do have Cafe Church on Sundays... we went to one of them as well as one of the night Anglican ones (teeming with All Saints high school kids) We will probably check out BEC where Mark Pulley is and BCC and the morning Pressies before making a final decision.

Id love to see you again! ITs been a while. I'm also in Sydney again for pracs in a month hopefully catch up then too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home