Thursday, September 29, 2005

Food


Loneliness makes you do crazy things. Things no ordinary, sane person would ever do. Things you might sometimes fantasize about but not actually carry out. Yup you know what I'm talking about ... eating blue cheese.

I have often seen blue cheese on platters and have even sliced off a bit but the smell has put me off enough to not actually eat it. However, the local supermarket stocks about 20 varieties of blue cheese. Soft and hard, in rinds, in paper etc. So in a sudden surge of madness, yesterday I bought a medium size wedge of "roaring fourties blue" complete in black wax rind. I also decided to cover all aspects of blue cheese curiosity and also bought a pack of blue cheese twists.(picture left) Now these South Cape twists come in a variety of flavours and their parmesan one is really delish.

I got home and opened the cheese and took the tiniest wedge. Before i popped it in my mouth, I had a sudden thought that there would be no one to take me to hospital if I developed a sudden, anaphylactic reaction to this. Oh well, I continued. The stuff was truly foul ! It had a really stinky flavour the aftertaste was even worse. The texture was creamy though and it was slightly sweet and nutty as they described, (which is how I like my men and cheese) But the mould flavour just over rided everything else. BLEAH! Juan suggested (when I tried to find a new home for my cheese) that I try it with some quince paste. It made it bearable but I think might consider eating it only if it was the last thing on earth.

The thing on the otherside was some comfort food bought as I had a craving for fudgy chewy brownie-type food. As you can see, the actual product was nothing like the picture and it turned out to be rather dry and too much air in it. The twists were ok nothing I would crave in a hurry.

I tried my hardest to steer away from making too many food posts as there are so many far superior ones out there. (my basic instincts took over, obviously) However, the rest of this post ties in with the country comments as I managed to get a full lunch for the first time in weeks today (usually we have toothaches and major cases, denture repairs etc so lunch is half an hour or even shorter). I dreamed about what to do for lunch as the time drew closer. I decided on using some of the carved lamb to make korean noodles. The picture shows the packet. I am not sure how popular they are or what they are called. Maybe someone can enlighten me. I found them in a korean supermarket in the Sydney suburb of burwood one of my last few visits to Sydney. You boil them for about 3 minutes until they are slightly translucent, then rinse the excess starch off under water, top with meats and veg and serve with the included chilli sauce. MMMmmm. Its spicy and yummy and also has some sesame oil with it. The noodles are very springy and slightly chewy and the chilli sauce went so well with the sweet tender lamb.

Ahh its not many places that you can live 1.1kms from work and drive home with no traffic lights in between to cook your own lunch and head back all within the hour. That is another big plus of the country.

P/S pictures of korean noodles to come ... hello/blogbot had a spaz attack again. Managed to get snack picture through though

3 Comments:

At 3:40 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Rachel - It's not MMMMM - it's mmm-yoso!!!! LOL! Man you've really made me hungry for some lamb....

 
At 11:04 AM, Blogger eat stuff said...

no kirk blue cheese is delici-yoso

Rachel I know how much of a cheese fiend you are, I am suprised that you don't like bleu *sob*

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Milly,

Thanks for the encouragement. And you are so right ! There are so many other things in life that are interesting and good to share. do you have any good recipes for blue cheese then? Would you like the rest of my wedge? I am sure some extra mould on it by the time it gets to you wouldn't change it ;)

Kirk, come visit oz in spring !!! actually come visit here int he country with your missus !! I'll see if I can pull some local contacts and get a fresh lamb dressed :D and hehe ok I"ll try and say it ... "mmmmm-yoso!" btw what is the origin of the word yoso? *ponders its meaning*

Clare, Do you really like blue cheese?? How do you eat yours? I decided I only like the white mould cheeses like brie and camembert. Hey!! maybe you can do a cheese and wine post !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home