Friday, March 10, 2006

And so it begins ....

Tutor demonstrating right way to introduce canula.

Well the graduate diploma course in dental sedation has officially started. It was a very interesting two weeks. The first week consisted of theory stuff like physiology and pharmacology, revising first aid on dummies. The best part of this week was that we got to practice various levels of nitrous oxide (happy gas) sedation on each other. At the level we like to achieve, it can produce a light buzzy happy feeling, like you've had a couple of drinks sort of feeling. At higher levels, it can even induce some analgesia. We were poking each other with probes and pinching each other at that level and the subject could feel we were doing something but didn't care as it didn't hurt. Interesting...

The second week, we had anatomy of veins in anticubital fossa (area other side of the elbow) and back of the hand and practiced on a dummy as well as each other! Well I got out of it but since for all of us it was the first time, there were a few blood baths! Well not that bad but a friend forgot to take the torniquet off after inserting the catheter and a little river of blood started flowing down even when she applied pressure to the site. She couldn't figure out why until she noticed that the tourniquet was still on. Many others wore bruises the next day. Let it not be said that students don't sacrifice for the sake of medicine! We also learnt to use a semi-automatic defibrillator. It was pretty interesting as I had never used one before.
My 60s room at the hospital accomodation complex.

Other highlights of the fornight include:
-going to a free music under the stars night with B and J, had the sydney symmphony orchestra playing mozart. Quite soothing especially when a picnic was thrown in.
-my first blogmeet with flatfeet which was really enjoyable actually so enjoyable we met up 2 more times in the 2 weeks :) Posts on food and stuff we had to come later.
-staying with Clare before the course started. My first taste of paella when we went to a spanish restaurant in Newtown
-Richard visiting with the doggies
My gorgeous boy Magic (Anshaygav Ashlea)
My beautiful girl Raven (Ecebe Raven Beauty)

I apologise for the picture quality and it wasn't because of some romantic soft filter I used on my camera. It was due to my phone having a VGA camera which isn't as sharp.

8 Comments:

At 3:58 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Hi Rachel - To this day, the first thing the Missus notices on anyone, are whether they have "good veins".......

 
At 6:04 AM, Blogger RONW said...

will you ever get finished with dental school : )

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

LOL Kirk!!! I could probably learn a few things from your missus. I have very "bad veins" :)

Well Ron, the answer is probably never! There is just so much to learn in different specialities. I am but a GP dentist at the moment. I am techinically finished with the bachelors BDS(evquivalent to the DDS over there) but hopefully will learn lots more in different fields.

 
At 11:13 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

Rach, it's my pleasure meeting you definitely!I'll send u those pics sometime over the weekend. I gotta go CPR course tomorrow.
I need to go OROR soon.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger gasman said...

I like the pic of the tutor demonstrating cannulation. If I was in a particularly anal mood I would point out that your tutor is not wearing a glove on his/her right hand. This would also be very hypocritical of me, since I do it regularly - especially in patients with little in the way of veins. The extra tactile input is very useful.

Mind if I link to your blog?

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Dr feet, hope your course goes well. Can talk to you about it later.

Signseeker, I would be honoured. I have actually decided to start a spearate blog for sedation/ dentistry ( I read the blog post on your first extraction. The laryngeal mask wouldn't *exactly* be my tool of choice but it looks like it did the job ;)But I will start it this weekend so I'll let you know what the site will be. This blog will probably be food/fun/activities related stuff.

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Dr. Mommy, D.D.S. said...

hello, doc. that's great about the IV sedation course you took, it should really open up your scope of practice. i did one IV sedation case when i was a resident, but have been WAAAYYY too busy to do the 19 others that are required for me to get certified. been thinkin' about it in the future, tho... it's just another one on a list of a zillion CE courses i want to take!

funny, i had a patient in just yesterday that would've been a perfect case for you, only it's too bad you're a about 24 hour flight away! she was my hygienist's mother-in-law and is terribly dental phobic - her sister actually died in a dental chair in trinidad. so this poor woman had a massive perio abcess on her lower right molar. i could have taken out this tooth with gauze, but she was so nervous she burst into tears before i even examined her. i felt so terrible, all i could do was prescribe abx and send her to the OS who does sedation extractions. you should come to canada, you'd get tons of referrals from me!!!

hmm... i'm not feeling the nitrous thing. made me very queasy, even on only 5% titration. i know patients love it! i just don't like the feeling of not being in control, you know? man, i'd make a terrible addict...

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Rosemary said...

Hi Rachel
Please fell free to email me or send photo of the schiperkes as i am Rosemary Bagnall the breeder of Anshaygav schipperkes would love to chat and see how things have been over the years.
Thanks Rosemary

 

Post a Comment

<< Home