Monday, February 13, 2006

Mulyan Winery


On Saturday, we took a leisurely drive around town, doing some shopping, had lunch (post of it to come later) and visited the Mulyan winery where the tasty red we had a few weeks earlier came from. It was a short drive out of town (about 5 minutes) and we were in rural landscape. A small dirt track off the main road, with adequate signage led us towards the airy building with a wide porch front.
These were a few grape vines growing close to the house but the main crop was grown elsewhere on the property.

Despite the rustic exterior, the main function room with tasting bar, was bright and modern. We were quickly seated and offered the currently small range of wines. There was a 2000 and 2001 Chardonnay under the Bushranger's Bounty label, a 2001 Chardonnay under the more premium Mulyan label, a 2000 Mulyan Shiraz and a 2001 Bushman's Bounty Shiraz. Other regional produce such as olive oil, home made sauces and chutneys, sheeps cheese and various salad dressings were also displayed on the counter.

We quickly decided that we loved the 2000 Bushman's Chardonnay which has won a few awards. It was light and very refreshing, fruity on the mid palate. The second tasting of the Bushman's Shiraz only confirmed that we needed to get half a dozen bottles of each. We knew that it would make great presents and we would keep a few as we wouldn't know when we would return. The shiraz retailed for $15 a bottle and the Chardonay for $11. We got the half dozen of each for $122 which was a good deal.

A quick stroll around the building revealed a sunny courtyard out the back where people could sit and enjoy their wine with a picnic at tables complete with large umbrellas. The function area indoors was also decorated with various scultures and art pieces.


If one was to chance upon the Bushrangers Bounty label, I would recommend you give it a try. Both the chardonnay and shiraz have lighter, less complex overtones than this winery's flagship label but this means that it can be enjoyed both on its own or with various foods, be it a fresh salad or a creamy pasta.
Mulyan Winery North Logan Road Cowra (02)6342 1336

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 2:48 AM, Blogger RONW said...

that's a nice looking tasting room that the winery has. Chardonnay was my favorite white wine when I use to still drink alcohol.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger cat_aunty said...

The first pix... it is the Australia landscape I miss most. The blue sky, the wide opened space, the tranquility and the silence....

 
At 6:45 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

My record is solo drinking a Chardonnay bottle within a day- well i was in a holiday mood during uni days. heh. ;>
What's the max. that you can drink?

 
At 11:07 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Hey, that's out near my family's former house! I'm very impressed that after the years you've been in Cowra, you still go and do touristy things - locals like me don't know what they're missing though!

Oh, and how are you doing? You'll be in Sydney soon right? Drop me a line if you're coming up.

 
At 11:35 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hi ron, do you still drink it socially or not at all now? Yeah chardonnay goes with most meals and is easy to match.

Sue, will be moving sometime in April, not sure when yet though.

Welcome back Cat_aunty! Where did you live when you were in Australia? Yes it is very nice to look at the open spaces. Makes you want to run up and down the road and sing, "The hiiiiils aaaare alive with the sound of muuuuusic."

dr feet! Err my record I am not too proud of is drinking 7 drinks in the first hour of my Uni sydney harbour cruise. I think that much wine gets boring after a while but if you drink mixers and cocktails, it adds up very quickly. I can't remember much after that but I know I had altogether about 11 drinks in the 4 hour cruise. I was lucky one of my classmates drove me home. I thought if I was at a party where I didn't know many people it could have been bad. It is also a bad feeling to have no control over what you are doing or memory of what you did or said. So I only drink one or two drinks now.

Hi katie! Yeah we are trying to cover some ground before we leave :) But we will defintely still visit friends back here, excpet they probably wouldn't want to do touristy things.

 
At 11:51 PM, Blogger RONW said...

Re: "do I still drink socially?"

Not even. I was never at risk of becoming AA, or anything like that, but it was like costing me $6,ooo US a year ($500/month), plus the hours spent in a bar itself, left little room for many other things desired. Cheers. Oh, I drank mainly "single-malt" scotch.

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger cat_aunty said...

Dear Rachel, I stayed in Perth from 1986 to 2001. I still go back from time to time, my sister is there now. You can take the girl out of Australia, but not Australia out of the girl.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home