Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Monday the Thirteenth

Two days ago, as I was running out the door to work, I grabbed my coats ironed from the night before and left on the door knob so I don't forget them in the rush to get out the door. I threw them over my left arm and immediately felt this searing hot pain. I looked at my coats which bit me and found a huge spider on the underside of them!! EEEEEEEK !! I threw them down immediately and stood dazed for a minute. I then picked up the coats and shook the beast out. It was huge!!! As big as my hand when the legs are included. It immediately ran up the wall of the hall. I ran to the kitchen and got out a can of insecticide and started spraying it like mad. The big mother still refused to die. Finally it weakened to the point of falling to the carpet. I stepped on it and it curled up after a satisfying crunch. I kicked it outside so my 'babies' wouldn't eat it or lick it.

By the time I drove to the surgery, my hand was starting to swell. I walked into the door of the surgery and my dental nurse said I should ask them at the hospital what to do. It was about 200 m walk away and so i walked there. They were pretty nice to me and put some ice on my hand. They sat me on a bed and took my blood pressure. At first, I felt ok, but i got pretty drowsy and lay down. The next few hours were a bit hazy. I remember that a doctor came to look at it and they gave me panadol but not much else. They asked me what the spider looked like but being brown and furry it was not on the top two dreaded spiders in Australia, them being the Sydney funnel web and the Red back. I remember my arm feeling hot and I had hot flushes throughout my body. a few hours later though I woke up feeling ok. Arm was a bit sore but the swelling had gone. All that was left were 2 puncture marks from the bite. It was about a cm (half an inch) apart.

I told hubby and he is usually a nature loving person, letting any spiders I asked him to get rid off in the past free outside of our home. He vowed revenge on all spiders from this day forth and he also felt helpless that he was an hour away instead of being able to send me to hospital. Soon that will be better though, we are really looking forward to us working in the same town.

The nurse at the hospital was surprised when I jumped up and said I would go back to work. The doctor said to take the day off but I already felt better and would feel bad sitting at home doing not much else. So, I walked back to the surgery and did a crown prep and a few cleans and that was my monday.

This is a good link to the Australian Museum Online on huntsman spiders, which is what Richard thought I got bit by. A spider by any name is as yukky to me. It looked huge, brown and furry with a few lines so I guess it kind of looked like the ones in that link. Here is another pic I found on the web of one.

It was taken from http://www.giftlog.com/pictures/spider_picture.htm which also has some pictures of a red back. I guess the plus of being in the country is the warm hospitality and next to no wait at the outpatients department of the hospital. The negative being many insects and even snakes spotted often in gardens every summer. I can't wait for autumn.

8 Comments:

At 1:37 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

my goodness! that's australia for you. danger, danger everywhere! glad you are feeling okay now :)

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger eat stuff said...

Awww!!!!!!
I am so glad you are ok. Poor girl Spiderbites can mak eyou feel nasty
xxxx

Can't wait til Sat night!

Us G I R L S A R E G O I N G T O
P A R T Y H E A R T Y! !!!!!

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

hey shauna! Thanks for dropping by again. Hehe yes Good ol aus is the home to the most poisonous snakes and insects in the world!! They have one of them groups touring the RSL circuit called "Mindless stupidity for the thinking person" and the ad on Tv has them singing '...brown snake, red back, taipan, funnel web and a box jellyfish. Welcome to Australia! you might accidentally get killed!'

Well sue, now you have! Don't forget to bring your pea beau and a roll of newspaper next time you visit the in-laws.

Yeah clare!!! I just feel bad for Richard who is the only one missing out on all the partying :D

 
At 1:57 AM, Blogger Dr. Mommy, D.D.S. said...

ouch! i'm just amazed that you went back to work after all that! i got stung by a wasp once, on the middle finger of my left hand (thank god) and my whole hand swelled up and i couldn't even bend my fingers. the bloody insect had crawled into the house via a crack in the air conditioning sealant and stung me as i lay napping on the couch. i, fortunately, have yet to be bitten by a spider.

wow, cowra must be VERY rustic. how on earth did a spider get into your coat???

take your anti-inflammatories and milk your husband for all the sympathy and/or service you can get! and most importanly, feel better!

p.s. i hate the crunch sound that insects make when you step on them. blleewwvvcch!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

So qiao! When I was ironing my pants yesterday, this wee spider came out of the pocket!EEEE, anyway it's dead.On the sad note, I've bitten by a white tail spider when I was asleep.Thank goodness this yan-dao (handsome) Dr solve my inflammation with da powerful antibiotics (cephalexin).
Ya, spiders must killed or sprayed by insecticides to death.

 
At 10:40 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

hi doc mommy!! *mad wave* Icky wasp stings are very very itchy.
In answer to your question, spider must have crawled in under the door. I have even seen mice squash themselves under the back door that leads to our laundry, in attempt to steal dog food out of their bowls. Hehe yes nothing better than having a sympathetic husband hover over you :) And actually i think the crunch is the best part of killing the insect. Its what to do with the goody carcass afterwards thats icky.

Dr Feet! Wow you had it even worse than me!!! When were you bitten by a white tail? Was it when you were in WA? I heard it takes a very long time to get over a white tail bite.

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Mate, that sounds horrible! You poor thing - what a shock to get on the way out the door! I hope you're ok.

 
At 2:01 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Sheesh Rachel - You went back to work! Well, I'm glad that your ok. just thinking about this gives me the heebies.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home