Saturday, June 14, 2008

The Seahaven Cafe, Gerroa

Last weekend was the Queens Birthday holiday. Australians love long weekends and fortunately this public holiday was on a Monday, hence I could escape after work on Saturday and have 2 nights at our destination. We took the opportunity to escape to an area of NSW we have holidayed twice before and really loved it. This time was no exception. The area has lush green hills facing the ocean and the highway down is somewhere in between which makes for a lovely drive. All the towns in this area, known as the Illawara coast, are about 30 kms apart and strung along joined by the highway.

This cafe we re-visited on the Monday. (Will probably be doing my posts in a reverse order.) There was a 15% public holiday surcharge which is now rampant due to the increased cost of living. It has been noticed as well in NSW to have a 10% sunday surcharge at most places *ouch*! Anyway, while on holiday, I guess we don't have a choice but to eat out and we really enjoyed our meal here the last time.It is located in the sleepy little town of Gerroa (pop 476) and has just the one post office and general store and this 'lil cafe. (Grr my faststone photo resizer chucked a spaz again and so my photos have a "sample" watermark on them! :P Its late and I am too lazy to re-do them though.)



The Seahave Cafe has a lovely view of an inlet just adjacent to the beach.


We had lunch last time we were here so we decided to have breakfast this time. It has a page long menu with all the usual suspects. My hubby had one of them - the big brekkie. An Egg, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, grilled tomato on thick cut buttered toast ($14.50) While hearty and well cooked, nothing special.
I love ordering unusual stuff so my eyes zoomed in on the "Mexican eggs"($14.50). Poached eggs on a spicy chorizo and tomato sauce served with turkish bread, it touted on the menu. It was either that or the vegetarian breakfast which would have been like the big breakfast only spinach and and extra egg to subsitute for the meat items on there.

Anyone expecting Huevos Rancheros would have been dissapointed. However, the taste of the chorizo and tomato mixture was very very good. It went well with the egg which was able to be all mopped up by the bread. I guess this dish is very much an example of the modern Australian "fusion" type dishes. I do like sauteed spinach so I ordered it as a side ($2.50)
A very decent cafe for the area. We would probably visit again since it is just a stone's throw from the beach which as you can see from the footprints is adored by humans and animals of all shapes and sizes. Pity it was a cloudy winters day ... Seven mile beach is gorgeous and seems to stretch on forever.
After a lovely digestive walk, we headed on home with a few little stops along the way.

Seahaven Café
19 Riverleigh Ave
Gerroa
ph 4234 3796

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 1:59 PM, Blogger KirkK said...

Hi Rachel - For some reason the phrase "chucked a spaz" makes me smile....I kept reading that little phrase over and over again! he-he-he you made my day.

 
At 2:31 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Kirk hehe I know your love of colloqualisms. Glad I could provide some comic relief!

 
At 12:40 AM, Blogger Lebowski said...

I go to this Cafe on the odd ocassion when I have the energy to go there(its a 45 min drive). Granted this cafe is pricey (Not that much more then regular prices cafe prices really though). BUT besides the location, they mostly only sell in season fresh local produce. Theres very little frozen or out of season food here(if any). I ordered the grilled fish this time, and my partner ordered the lamb ribs. The Ribs are local Lamb, and the fish was locally caught.
For the entre, we had a peachs and goats chees bruschetta! The BEST tasting thing you ever had. Beautiful cheese and lush in season peachs, omg Yum! Each time I make it here, the food quality reminds me why I make the special effort to come here.(Dont forget to book in peak seasons too). Well worth it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home