Sunday, January 29, 2006

Early afternoon around town

LOL I didn't check my settings before using the handy FastStone photo resizer to resize and put a lil template on my photos, hence you will see Sample at the bottom corner instead of Rustic Fillings. That'll teach me! :)


We slept in 'till 11 am yesterday and headed for town as we had to run a few errands such as geting another fish to keep Comet company. As you can see even around noon the street is pretty deserted. This is due to the shops shutting at around this time. On a Sunday, its even worse ! You could roll a bowling ball down the street and not hit anybody.This is the main shopping street in Cowra. It is taken from a point halfway down the street, pointing to the east (top) side of the street.

This is a basic milk bar/ cafe place. It offers roast chicken, salads, and other short order stuff such as dagwood dogs, battered fish, burgers etc. It is very common in suburban Australia and definitely present in country towns.
It is also called a milk bar because most of them make old fashioned milk shakes (the kind you get in the tall metal shaker container - bit of ice cream, mostly milk and with your choice of flavouring). This is the biggest one in town- The Golden Key Cafe(the only one offering roast chicken and salads) and a town this size (10,000)has four of these. Just as a side note, this business has changed hands twice in four years and has been refurbished once to add a juice/smoothie bar. (Yes you get all the goss at the dental surgery)

Not having had breakfast, I felt like something naughty so I ordered a burger with the LOT (AUD $5.50). In Australia, this means cheese,pineapple, bacon, egg, pattie, lettuce, beetroot and tomato. What makes the Australian burger unique is the presence of beetroot. I noticed that egg also doesn't feature much in other countries. Take a look at mine.
As you can see the pattie is mostly obscured by the bacon, egg and pineapple. Eggs are fried flat here too, as opposed to in rings. The short order cooks here wield a spatula similar to a paint scraper as their weapon of choice. They flatten the ball of meat as soon as it hits the hot plate. The flavours meld well together, adopting the charred juices of the hundreds of burgers fried on the same hot plate before. Patties in aussie burgers (standard ones with no extras) are pretty flat and thin, hence in fast food tests done recently, it was found to have the lowest amount of fat compared to burgers bought at all the usual chains. As burgers go, this was a pretty good one! Nice bit of bacon, not fried to a crisp, just the way I like it!
Richard had his with cheese and pineapple (AUD $4.50) and he found that it hit the spot too!
Here is a photo of the outside of the Townhouse Hotel Motel from the review before. It is a variation of the typical pub hotel found here, most of them being part of a block. More pics to follow in later posts of country fare and aussie lifestyle :)

11 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Blogger RONW said...

over here there's always a contest going on of which restaurant has the best hamburger. Well, the problem with this is that most hamburger joints with a high reputation also charge like $4-6 (US) for their glorified burgers. Which is kind of a self-explanatory joke. I'm just curious about how much the hamburger in the post cost?

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Milly, he beetroot makes it slightly sweet and tangy as you know how beetroot is :) In Australia it is very popular in salads and sandwiches too.

Sue, I can't say I have tried them myself as I am not a chip person. Had wedges with sour cream and sweet chilli sauce once or twice and it wasn't half bad! The salads there are really sad now that the new owner has taken over. Ask Jas if she knows her, its Mrs Slater the coppers wife.

 
At 8:56 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Ron, Sorry was going to rectify that today ... Burger with the lot in Aus costs about $5.50 The burger with pineapple and cheese costs $4.50 The usual price for plain burgers here at milk bars is about $3.50. Far cry from 10 years ago when it was $2- $2.50

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger Flatfeet said...

Rach, those are seriously sinful burgers!! *just kidding* who cares, just eat what you want. My favourite all times: Chicken burger. Beetroots are like pickles to me (;o(- so you can have mine if we are eating burgers next time.

Gong xi Gong xi fa da cai!

 
At 3:09 AM, Blogger Shauna said...

oooh yum! i have happy memories of golden key burgers with the lot. though i'm sure it's changed hands 27 times since then!

i love the pic of the town house, the two cars out the front seem to be the kind of cars that are always parked in kendal street!

btw, thanks so much for your comments on my blog! i only just saw them yesterday as they had been sent to the Junk folder by accident.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Flatfeet, I think the chicken burgers here are more like a giant nugget i.e. you are getting minced up and breaded chicken bums and necks and beak :P Yeah sometimes you just crave bad food! And then... spend half an hour on the treadmill to make up for it. Blah.

Shauna, Thats ok I really love your blog. I will add a link to it if you don't mind, of course yours is already fabulously popular but hopefully more people will come to know why ;)

 
At 1:29 AM, Blogger Dentist Down Under said...

I'm proud to say I eat what I want and I've never been on diet before and have never ever step into a gym. Don't be jealous. ;p

 
At 3:49 AM, Blogger KirkK said...

Rachel - That's some burger! And the price sounds great as well! I enjoyed your "street scene" photos, gives me a nice "feel" of the Town!

 
At 10:24 PM, Blogger Rachel said...

Hi Dentist down under ! Thanks for visiting. You are one of those lucky girls with great metabolic rate. My sister is also like that but I'm not so lucky :)

Kirk, hehe you can re-create the burger! Just don't forget the pineapple and beetroot to balance out the flavours. I also forgot to add in the post one other very important ingredient always in Aussie burgers - onions fried on the hotplate in the burgers juices ! Let me know if you do assemble this burger and how it turns out.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Dr. Mommy, D.D.S. said...

my arteries are clogging while reading your post! sounds de-lish, tho!

i dunno who makes the best burgers in the states. prolly a restaurant called jackson hole (named after a town in wyomming). they add some sort of seasoning mix into it and the burgers are thick and juicy, perfect with just a bit of ketchup and a slice of new york cheddar cheese, maybe throw in a tomato if you're feeling ambitious.

i have heard of fried egg on a burger at some restaurant i went to when i was in college. they called it "the cholesterol burger"!

 
At 1:08 AM, Blogger Dentist Down Under said...

rachel: I don't have a fast metabolic rate. I wish. ;p I just think life is too short to restrict yourself not to eat this and that. I don't go to the gym because I don't like to torture myself, plus I don't need to go to the gym to ogle at cute guys hehe ;p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home